Tuesday, August 5, 2008

It's all about the CHAT!

Having an Indian boyfriend means that I am eating plenty of delectable Indian food, whether is eating out, tasting his mother's tasty cooking, and eating his own amazing cooking as well. An Indian appetizer that I just tried recently when the Prince ordered it at a restaurant called Diwan is called chat papri. If you live by an Indian grocer, its so easy to make! If you dont, I suggest that you shop online at the store I shop at in person: Patel Brothers!
http://www.patelbrothersusa.com/subcat.asp?cat_id=1&cat_name=Groceries

Shopping at Patel Bros. for the ingredients with the Prince was just as fun as making it together. At one point I couldnt contain my excitement for eating kulfi and gobbled one pop down before we even reached the checkout line. I loved the shopping experience because it was also an education about ingredients for Indian food. The Prince got me all the ingredients I needed and showed me how to assemble it. The photo you see is what we made here, and he also made is amazing mango shake to go with it. Here is what you need:

1 bag of chat papdi
plain yogurt
mint chutney
chick peas (canned)
scallions
tamarind paste
garam masala
chaat masala
punjabi chhole masala
chili powder

Basically you place the chips in a bowl and then spread on the yogurt, some chutney, and the tamarind paste. After that top with chick peas (drain them from the sticky juice they are in and rinse once or twice) and add pinches of the spices on top. Sprinkle with scallions, grab a spoon, and enjoy! You may see this sometimes at an Indian buffet! It so delicious and quite addictive.

No comments: