Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Late Summer Supper

The Cookbook Junkie (http://cookbookjunkie.blogspot.com/) inspired this meal after asking her readers what their favorite vegetables are with pasta. Mine has always been zucchini. I was exhausted last night but wanted to cook and sit outside in my yard and enjoy the cool breeze as dusk arrived. I made Fettuccine with green and yellow squash - very simple and easy - and had it with a chardonnay. The sweetness of the squash and the saltiness of the pecorino cheese were great compliments to each other. No recipe borrowed...this one is my own.

Fettuccine with Summer Squash

1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 medium yellow squash, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning (McCormick)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, freshly shredded
1/2 pound fettuccine, cooked al dente

Heat the olive oil in a skillet and saute garlic, onion, and squash until tender (about 15 minutes). As you saute, add salt and pepper to taste and the Italian seasoning. Cook the pasta according to directions for al dente. Toss the pasta in the skillet once its drained and then add the cheese. Enjoy!



2 comments:

Middle Ditch said...

That sounds really good. I might give it a try. I'm not a great pasta lover but hub is and I could just surprise him tonight

Cindy said...

Mmm. That's my favorite summer vegetable too (right after asparagus in the spring).

Thanks for visiting me over at Figs! You certainly could use sweet onions, but the caramelizing gives the onions such sweetness, that I just go with the cheapo yellow ones for this recipe. Gruyere: my husband's favorite, and nothing beats it on a grilled paninni.